Saturday, October 11, 2008

Am I a Fool? Are you a Fool?


I have not started a blog about the Jonah Precept study called "Where Are You Going?" yet. I think I may need to do over it again. Sometimes I have to do a study over again just to let it set in. I hope I have not become one who has dull hearing. (See Hebrews 5:11)

But on another note, I just started a New Inductive Study Series on Proverbs entitled "God's Answers for Today's Problems". I have been wanting to do this study for awhile because I am in desperate need of wisdom. Also, who does not want answers to problems? I feel compelled to be in study day and night so I am doing a Precept study in the morning and this study on Proverbs at night. I guess I am blogging on it because perhaps you will hold me accountable to complete what I have started.

The opening verses tell you the purpose or the reason the author wrote this book. See Proverbs 1:1-7. One of the reasons Solomon, the son of David, wrote these proverbs (note: all Scripture is inspired by God and men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God-2Tim 3:16a, 2Pet1:21) was so that we, the reader, will receive instruction in wise behavior. Hmmmm. I don't know about you...but I need it! LOL But at the same time, I have to ask myself and perhaps you want to ask yourself the same question: Do I want (desire) this?

You see I often find myself being a very prideful person --not admitting that I don't know something or that I need help. "I'll do it myself" has been my modus operandi. I have often heard many people at Precept Ministries say that the LORD delights in showing us how utterly dependent we are on Him. Excuse my grammar but ...ain't that the truth, Ruth. LOL Any time I try to walk my own way without seeking guidance or wisdom, I end up in a pit of worry or despair or confusion. I find myself thinking that I did not have these issues before I was a Christian. Well, I know that this is the enemy of my soul trying to tempt me to doubt God. By God's grace, he won't win.

Or sometimes, I am not diligent with in my Bible study. I waste time doing things that do not profit. Time slips away I have not done the things necessary to acquire wisdom.

One of the questions that the study asks you is what is the relationship among wisdom, fools and the Lord. Well, fools despise wisdom and instruction. The beginning of knowledge (or instruction) is the fear of the Lord therefore fools don't fear God. If one won't receive knowledge or instruction one can't honestly say he or she fears God. Your lips may say that you fear God but your heart is faaaaar from Him. You are a fool. No, I did not say you are a fool. God's Word did if you fit the description of a fool. Or perhaps you know a fool and you want wise counsel on how to relate to a fool. Get the study if you want to learn more about fools.

That is all I will say for now because I hope that I have enticed you not for evil but for good, to get your own book and discover truth for yourself or to receive instruction by some other method on a daily basis. You don't have time? Cut something out of your schedule. It is too hard? Ask your Heavenly Father to help you. He has given you His Son. Won't He freely give you all things? Or perhaps you feel that instruction once a week when you go to church is enough. Dear heart (this is what my mother calls me), consider something ....know I won't say it. Read Proverbs 1:1-7 and ask yourself am I a fool? (I am not asking you to do something that I have not already done).

At this moment, I am tempted not to send this blog because I don't want to sound harsh or hurt someone's feelings. But should I stop speaking truth because it may hurt someone's feelings? Can it be a good thing if a little pain brings about a change in your thinking or actions for the better? By God's grace, I hope this blog is received in love. Be blessed.

No comments: