Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Compassionate God

As I think about what I have learned about God from my study of the book of Jonah, one word stands out...well maybe two and those are compassion and longsuffering. Not only was God compassionate on that great city Nineveh but He was also compassionate on that stubborn and disobedient prophet named Jonah.

Wasn't Jonah supposed to be God's man? So how could he try to flee from the presence of God? As I apply what I have learned to my own life I can honestly say that I have walked in Jonah's steps many times. Sometimes I react so quickly to circumstances that I don't even stop to think about what God's word says about a particular situation. I just react and then get upset when things don't go my way. Wow. Sad but true.

Now do you want to know the good news! There is nothing in my past or future sins that Christ did not die for. Not that I want to test God by continually walking in disobedience. Besides if I continually walked in disobedience or wanted to walk in disobedience then I would question whether I was a Christian. But I digress.

It is so comforting to know that God is so relentless when it comes to fulfilling His word. He never slumbers. He never takes a break. When you finally come to repentance He takes you right back to your point of disobedience and gives you the opportunity to walk in obedience. Isn't that so wonderful! Read Jonah 3:1.

On a side note, you can study Jonah as part of great resource entitled "Lord Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 days". This book takes you step by step through the components of inductive Bible study. Sometimes it is hard to explain in a few words what inductive Bible is but this book shows what it is by taking you through a study of Jonah and Jude and other portions of Scripture. It is very good and not dry or scholarly. With that being said the author of this book, Kay Arthur, does not skimp on showing you how to study.

Jonah and Jude are very short books so that makes it helpful if you are just beginning with Bible study. So if God has been speaking to your heart about Bible study, why not start walking in obedience by trying this resource, "Lord Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 days"?

No comments: